Best way to label greenhouse plants? | BC Greenhouse Builders Ltd.

Best way to label greenhouse plants?

Most Popular Topics

Forums

Home Forums Greenhouse Installation Best way to label greenhouse plants?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pamhanson 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tupacshakaur
    Participant

Hello all,

Curious what people are using to tie greenhouse plants to care information?

I’d like to put some sort of a tag – either full text or bar codes tied to a phone database app, that will allow me to identify the plant, and get a detailed listing on care instructions – light, soil, watering, fertilizing, etc.

I’m tired of looking at the 1/2 inch stake tag for the name, and running into the house to look up care instructions on the web.

What are people using?

Thank you

I did not find the right solution from the internet
    References :

https://garden.org/thread/view/70432/Best-way-to-label-greenhouse-plants/

Workforce Solution Video

BC Greenhouses
    Keymaster

When I had to track thousands of plants at a botanical garden I bought a Dymo label writer with a very soft metal roll that allowed me to print plant names on the metal roll, clip them, and then insert the tag into the soil with just a bit sticking out. Knowing where I sunk the label helped me find it because, like you, I didn’t want the tags to be front and centre. The metal was imprinted so wouldn’t erase or fade.

You want to go a step further. You want to find out what the plant is and how to look after the plant but I wouldn’t rely on a tag for that. Instead, simply group plants that have the same needs together. You could colour code the areas. Low water – yellow tape, Medium water green and high water blue. That way a quick glance lets you know how to care for your plants. Once you get more comfortable and trust yourself with plants you won’t need tags or systems. You can just look at the plants and you will know what they need.

BC Greenhouses
    Keymaster

When I had to track thousands of plants at a botanical garden I bought a Dymo label writer with a very soft metal roll that allowed me to print plant names on the metal roll, clip them, and then insert the tag into the soil with just a bit sticking out. Knowing where I sunk the label helped me find it because, like you, I didn’t want the tags to be front and centre. The metal was imprinted so wouldn’t erase or fade.

You want to go a step further. You want to find out what the plant is and how to look after the plant but I wouldn’t rely on a tag for that. Instead, simply group plants that have the same needs together. You could colour code the areas. Low water – yellow tape, Medium water green and high water blue. That way a quick glance lets you know how to care for your plants. Once you get more comfortable and trust yourself with plants you won’t need tags or systems. You can just look at the plants and you will know what they need.

Pamhanson
    Participant

I agree to The meta was imprinted so wouldn’t erase or fade.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.